Friday 24 February 2012

Hat patterns, part 1

It may seem a bit daunting if you never tried it, but making a hat isn't very difficult. You don't have to work with hat stocks and steaming felt or straw- a hat can be sewn, knitted or in chrochet. And it isn't too difficult to find period patterns online. On Etsy you can find re-printed PDF-patterns for a few dollars. Printable patterns can be a bit of a hassle as you may need to cut and paste to get your pattern, but a hat is so small that you may not need to paste at all. Here are some of the 30's and 40's patterns that I like- there are more.

Pretty hat and posy made of leather



Three hour beret pattern


Cap hat


Pleated beret


Cone shaped hat


Stitched hat


Another stitched hat


Spring hat


Smart hat


Turban rosette hat


These are all hat that are sewn- I found so many in crochet and knits that they will have to wait for another post.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I've been looking at hat patterns recently too! I love the look of your second stitched hat!! Have you made any yet? I'd love to see photos of finished ones.

Maxine xx

Isis said...

Maxine: Not yet, but I plan to! I prom,ise to post pics when I get that far. :)

Knitting-twitter said...

I love that cone shaped hat, thank you for the inspiration, I will try to knit and felt that one..
all the best, Christa

Charline said...

The berret is so adorable !
Thank you so much for that post

Anonymous said...

Jag bestämde för ett par månader sedan att jag ska minsann ta och göra lite hattar, så jag har börjat med en enkel stickad turban som inte behöver formges på något sätt. På lager ligger mönster för att göra en sydd basker och Wearing Historys sporty toppers-mönster, samt några stickade hattar som formas lite med metalltråd eller filtas.

Man får börja lite enkelt, tänkte jag, och bygga upp självförtroendet. Under tiden läser jag drömmande små 40-talsböcker om just att göra lite mer avancerade hattar... som How to Make and Trim Your Own Hats.

Clare said...

Ooh, very niiiice ... I love hats and have been told I suit them, but I tend to feel quite self-conscious in them, so I don't really wear them. Maybe if I make one it'll encourage me to try them out more. I love the cap hat from NVL in particular.

Thanks for some great inspiration!

Brittany_Va-VoomVintage said...

eva dress and the vintage pattern lending library have some amazing vintage hat patterns too!! :)

Unknown said...

I love the spring hat and rosetta turban-how lovely indeed. I have never tired but I hope to one day, possible when my house is a wee bit more quieter and more of my kids are in school full time LOL xox

http://themusingsandadventuresofapinupmama.blogspot.com/

Isis said...

Knitting-twitter. I envy you your knitting skills! I'm sure the hat will look fab!

Charline: I'm glad you enjoyed the post!

Emma: Jag vill också komma i vanan att bära hatt oftare. Jag har övat med yllebaskrar nu under vintern. Jag tror det gäller att hitta en hatt man känner sig bekväm i, annars blir det lätt att man ser lite utklädd ut. :)

Isis said...

Clare: I do think that trhe trick is to find a model you feel comfortable in and then work from that. :)

Brittany: Thank you for the tip!

Bunny: The nice thing with making hats are that they are ususally quick to make. Short seams and alln that. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...